Aiwa

AR Recommendations

Aiwa

I'm in the market for an AR, and wanting to get some opinions / recommendations from those that likely have more experience with them.  

What I really want is the Sig 556xi, but my wallet isn't big enough.  I want get out spending less than $750. 

For the moment, I've got my sights on a Bushmaster XM-15 or a S&W M&P 15 Sport 2, both I could probably get away with < $625 including FFL transfer fee.

I'm not overly familiar with the other brands, but would be open to them if someone can speak highly of their quality.  

I'm fine with open sights for now, but eventually I want to get a scope that will cross between this and my Winchester Model 88 .308 that'll let me reach out to 200yds easily.

Aiwa

The sight is irrelevant ATM. 

I'd also be interested in something that shoots 7.62x51 instead of 5.56/223. 

Marauder

I had a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S and it was quite possibly the shittiest firearm I've ever owned. Would not recommend it, heard nothing but good things about the S&W tho. If you want 7.62x51 in AR format i believe Armalite makes one in the ~750 range, not certain tho.

Aiwa

That's what I'm hearing and reading now.  A co-worker said the Bushmaster was good, but so far he's the only one saying so.  

What I really want is a Sig, so now I'm looking at the best price I can get for either an M400 or 556xi.  More than I want to spend, but I'm only going to buy one of these, so I want to get the one I really want.

Marauder

Yeah, even with good magpull mags, and top ammo, it would jam up every ~3-4 shots, even had a round get stuck above the BCA and receiver top somehow, took a gunsmith to get it out.

SWAT_GOD

Save up you money and go here.....

https://www.jprifles.com/

I will NEVER buy a AR system from anyone else.  These things run flawlessly.  I've carried one for a few years now, and consider my old AR's tire irons. 

Wormfood

I got a Sig 556R and would highly recommend it, but it is 7.62x39.

Swatty has the right idea, save up for better quality.

Aiwa

You guys make a good point.  If I'm only going to by one of these, might as well get the one I want... 

Now I'm torn... SIG 556xi chambered for 5.56 or 7.62x39?  I figure I can pick up either one for around $1,300 including shipping / FFL transfer fees off GunBroker.

Wormfood

A few years ago I would have told you to go with 7.62 as you could buy old eastern European stock by the crate for next to nothing.

Now it really just depends on personal preference and what you can find near you. If you're just plinking targets or varmint hunting a 5.56 works just fine.

Aiwa

I'm leaning toward the 5.56. It can shoot 7.62x39 by changing the bolt, barrel and the AR style AK mags. If I go with the 7.62x39 to start, all those have to change in addition to the lower needing changed. 

Now I just need to find one for a good price. Gunbroker has a few deals, and I have a local FFL that'll do a transfer for $15 if you have a CHL/LTC. 

Gunman

I have a Core 15 and really like it a lot. I don't think you can beat their warrantee, should anything ever go wrong with it either.

Aiwa

Spent WAY more than I really wanted to, but got what I really wanted.  

@SWAT_GOD made a fair point.  Save up and buy what I really want than buy something that I'll say 'I wish I had X' every time I shoot it.  

http://www.sigevolution.com/sig556xi  

Got the 5.56 version with the aluminum handle 16" barrel.